Thursday, May 3, 2012

Becoming an Adult...Officially

So tomorrow is my last day of undergrad classes. I love how I say that like I'm going to grad school. Let's get one thing straight: Homegirl is DONE with school. Got it? Good.

I just got moved up to serving at work and sadly I'm making more there than I would with my degree so I think that's what I'll continue to do for now while I volunteer at places around town that may open up job opportunities. Jake had an interview for a graduate assistant position for grad school.  He also has a big boy job interview next week and then another one the week after that. Holy grown ups.  One of the jobs comes with full benefits and 4 weeks of paid vacation...holla!

I think the thing I'm most excited about (and I tell Jake often) is being a "normal" married couple.  When people find out I'm married and I tell them I'm 22 (because they always ask how old I am because apparently I look like I'm 16) they won't think that's outrageously weird.  We won't be in this weird limbo of student and adult.  We'll just be normal adult married people. Yay!

As excited as I am, I'm still anxious about the future. I pray about it daily.  I just want to make the decision that is going to allow me to glorify God the most. I have no idea what that is.  My heart aches for children, which seems almost silly to me because I still feel so young. On the other hand, I have been married for 2 years, which I've been told is about the time most couples get the baby itch if they don't have kids yet. However, I also know that I love sleeping through the night.  Part of me wants a family now and part of me wants to just enjoy the time that Jake and I have together without school for a little while. Who knows. I digress.

Basically those are all the crossroads we're at right now. But the major crossroads I'm facing right now: to study for finals or to watch season 4 of Giuliana and Bill since my amazing husband bought it for me on iTunes earlier this week....I think we all know which one I'm choosing.

2 comments:

Beth said...

My parents were married at 19(mom) and 21(dad). After a whole 1 month of wedded bliss, mom got the baby itch. I was born 12 months later. All 3 of us were here by the time she turned 25. Having babies young means when you're in your late 30s (still young enough to go and do and have fun) your kids are old enough to either come with you or stay at home without a sitter. Plus, I just love babies, so I vote baby :)

Mary Cavalier said...

When you figure out what a normal married couple is like, let me know :-) As you know we were like Beth's parents except in our late 20's and early 30's when we got married. We had you within 13 months and sister about 18 months later. Wouldn't have done it any differently but babies definitely change your life.